- Include the link to your blog here: https://sungminhongblog.wordpress.com/
- Which of your pieces was the most challenging to write? Give three reasons and explain.
I think my SAT prompt was the most challenging to write because I was under pressure with a time limit of 50 minutes. The prompt was difficult as well. I found it difficult to put my thoughts into words as I was writing it which played a big part in bringing my confidence down. Due to my lack of confidence, I was worried about what my grade would be for the entire class as I was writing.
- Which of your pieces was the most enjoyable to write? Give three reasons and explain
I think my descriptive essay was the most enjoyable to write mainly because I was writing about an unforgettable memory of my visit to my favourite football team’s stadium to watch a game in London. But two other reasons why I enjoyed writing it is because I could recall my memories while writing and also I felt like it was great practice for me because I was always weak at being descriptive in my writing.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a writer?
I can identify a long list of weaknesses I have as a write but I can’t think of any strengths I have. But if I had to mention a strength of mine, it would be to be willing to edit or rewrite my piece to learn from my mistakes at all times. For my weaknesses, as i mentioned earlier, I have difficulties thinking and creating ideas on the spot, putting my thoughts into words, I am weak at being descriptive in my writing, and I don’t have any confidence in myself.
- What have you done to develop your strengths and minimize your weaknesses as a writer? How successful do you feel you have been?
Throughout the year so far, there has been many times where I had asked Mr. Nollan if I can rewrite or edit my essay into a better quality piece. Whenever he says yes, which is almost every time, I learn a lot from my mistakes I had made on my first submission. I feel like the more I edit my essays, the next time I write I would be more aware of what mistakes I should avoid when writing. I think I am slowly approaching another level of writing through my eagerness to learn from mistakes, however, I still have a long way to go to become successful.
- What kind of future career or field of study are you considering? What kinds of writing might be important in this career or field? Explain, giving specific examples.
I am considering a field of study that is related to math and science, so something around the lines of an engineer. Einstein once said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” This quote applies to almost every single field of study but in order to share your imaginations or views, you have to be good at writing.
- What advice would you offer the College Writing teachers as they plan this unit for next year? What might be some additional pieces of writing to add and why? How was the timing and pacing? Did you receive enough feedback? Did you receive enough instruction and input so you knew how to do each assignment? You can make specific comments about specific assignments here. What did you like or not like and why? What would make this unit more student-friendly, provide more learning, or make it more interesting?
I think writing more descriptive essays would be a great idea because it strengthens your ability to share your imaginations and views (like I said about Einstein above). I really learned a lot from Mr. Nollans, long feedback in almost every assignment. It shows me that he cares about our writing and it also encourages me to be a better writer. I didn’t have anything against most of the assignments except the CREDO presentation. I thought that it was a very random assignment that caused a lot of stress to people like me who lack confidence in speaking in front of a crowd. It also wasted a lot of time because some people refused to go or they went over time.